firefighter interventions are increasing

firefighter interventions are increasing

With the first cold weather arriving a few days ago, everyone turned on the heating again. Since then, firefighter interventions have increased for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

October 31, in Confrançon, a fifty-year-old was hospitalized following the use of a generator on a closed construction site. On November 3, emergency services intervened in Saint-André-sur-Vieux-Jonc, route du Suc, to a 64-year-old woman, then to Ceyzérieu, in Ardosset, to an 82-year-old man. Both were rushed to hospital following carbon monoxide poisoning.

A gas colorless, odorless and toxic

CO is a particularly dangerous gas since it is colorless, odorless, toxic and diffuses quickly and can be fatal. It results from incomplete combustion, whether it is wood, butane, coal, gasoline, fuel oil, natural gas, oil or even propane. The first signs of poisoning are a headache and the urge to vomit.

To avoid any risk, it is advisable to have your heating appliance serviced, not to block the vents in your home and to ventilate it for at least 10 minutes per day. According to figures from the Ministry of Health, carbon monoxide is responsible for around a hundred deaths in France each year.

Source link