The food poisoning trail seems to be confirmed. The Saint-Malo public prosecutor’s office announced that “abnormal thresholds” of two bacteria were found in dishes served in a nursing home in Pleine-Fougères (Ille-et-Vilaine), where four residents died at the end of October.
On Friday, the Saint-Malo public prosecutor’s office announced the opening of an investigation into involuntary homicide and involuntary injuries after the death of three residents in this nursing home located not far from Mont-Saint-Michel. SATURDAY, a fourth resident of this establishment has died.
An inspection was carried out by the Departmental Directorate for Population Protection, contacted as part of the preliminary investigation. Its report “concludes non-compliance and in particular the contamination of several dishes due to the presence of abnormal thresholds of two bacteria”, indicated the public prosecutor of Saint-Malo, Fabrice Tremel.
Food provided by a service provider
These results were obtained following analyzes carried out on samples taken from control dishes within the nursing home,” added the magistrate, specifying that the investigations were continuing. In another press release, he mentioned a probable “food poisoning” which affected forty residents and staff of the establishment on the night of October 30 to 31.
In a press release dated November 10, the management of the Les Marais nursing home said they were living “in the turmoil of mourning and crisis cells”. “Since May 2020, Résidence Les Marais has used the service provider Medirest – Compass for meals. As of October 31, 2023, several residents suffered very violent digestive symptoms,” the nursing home said.